In this section of the MCH website, we will summarize the most important information related to the PhD program of the Architecture Design Department of the UPM Architecture School (ETSAM), as way to help non-Spanish speakers. It has been extracted from the official DPAA website, in Spanish:
If you decide to apply to the DPAA program, please check the official website to obtain updated information, moreover if it is referred to application dates or deadlines.
The DPAA PhD program is ruled by the law RD99/2011, which is the one defining all PhD programs in Spain. The DPAA PhD program is an international one.
It is oriented to architects with previous experience in research, who have already done a research master. They should also have a clear research proposal which is linked to the research lines of the Architecture Design Department (DPA).
+ 34 910 675 120
+ 34 910 675 124
Admitted candidates will start their research period every year on October 1st or March 1st. There are three types of candidates who can request their admission to the DPAA PhD program:
- Holders of a MPAA Diploma (Máster en Proyectos Arquitectónicos Avanzados ETSAM-UPM)
- Holders of an official European research Master Diploma (60 ECTS)
- Former students of the DPA PhD Program who are already in a research phase.
- Holders of a Spanish Master Habilitante Diploma or architects who submitted their PFC as part of the 96 Study plan (UPM).
- Holders of a professional master Diploma (60 ECTS) which do not belong to the European Higher Education Area.
Those candidates must pass 19 ECTS of the Master of Advanced Architectural Projects within one semester. Subjects can be chosen by the candidate and approved by the PhD Committee. It is compulsory to include the 8 ECTS credits of the Final Master Thesis in that selection.
- MCH Alumni.
Thanks to the agreement reached with DPA, MCH Alumni are considered type B, but they have to complete 9 ECTS credits less than other B canditates, as 9 ECTS of the MCH program can be automatically validated. Therefore, MCH Diploma holders must only pass 10 ECTS of the Master of Advanced Architectural Projects within one semester. Subjects can be chosen by the candidate and approved by the PhD Committee. It is compulsory to include the 8 ECTS credits of the Final Master Thesis in that selection.
- Holders of a research master Diploma which does not belong to the European Higher Education Area, but it provides access to PhD programmes in that country.
Those candidates must pass the 8 ECTS credits of the Final Master Thesis.
3 years + 1 year extension + 1 year of extraordinary extension. Those extensions should be duly justified.
5 years + 2 year extension + 1 year of extraordinary extension. Those extensions should be duly justified.
The PhD Committe (CAPD) will evaluate if it is possible to accept part time requests.
Requests to change modality
The PhD Committe (CAPD) will evaluate each year how many part time candidates can be accepted and they will approve or reject the requests received. The result will be communicated to the PhD Committee of UPM.
- A maximum of 16 full time positions will be yearly offered.
- Pre-registration in June-July for candidates beginning on October 1st; Pre-registration in January-February for candidates beginning on March 1st. The list of admitted candidates will be published in the official website.
- Application process:
* Pre-registration through the Helios platform
* Apply form, filled in and signed
* CV + Portfolio + Motivation letter
* Dossier with the topic chosen for the Thesis + Activities timeline
* Spanish language certificate, at least B2 DELE Diploma or equivalent (only for candidates who do not speak Spanish as a mother tongue)
* Official certificates proving the information declared in the previous documents.
To be sent via wetransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, read these two documents before fill in your application:
- Cost: 400€/year, full time modality. 250€/year, part time modality. These prices are determined by UPM and the Madrid Region, so they may vary. They are reviewed every year.
- Inscription period: September and October for all PhD admitted candidates of that year, both if they begin in October or March.
- A document to pay the fees (carta de pago) must be requested at the ETSAM Secretaría. You will need to provide your admission letter to the PhD programme.
For questions this regard: email@example.com, +34 910 674 776.